Monday, September 9, 2013

Grenoble Post #1

Originally posted September 9, 2003

      We caught our flight to Lyon with no problems, arrived in France, went through Customs and began our drive to Grenoble.  We started speaking French as soon as we touched down at the airport. 

So we’re driving down l’autoroute and suddenly the Alps appeared.  We saw tiny houses situated on the faces of these gargantuan masses of stone. Even some houses carved into them - les troglodites. We kept trying to express our excitement about the coming semester but none of us knew enough French to truly capture our feelings.  We arrived at our hotel and headed off to eat lunch.  It was a vast improvement above the English dining we did.  Then we went back to the hotel for interviews for placement in host families (this took about 5 excruciating hours). After, we ate dinner and some of us called our families (Marcia B. was so excited she spoke to me in French for half the conversation) and then, mercifully, it was bedtime after a long, long day.  The next morning I met Christy for a run and we witnessed the sunrise over the Alps… this place is brimming with beauty.  Then we ate and went to the Université de Grenoble, where we will all be attending language classes.  We were briefed on behavior and French customs for when we live in our families.  And we were asked a few supplemental questions to ensure correct host family placement. 

         Next we took our placement test for classes, always a humbling experience.  The last time I took one was after my summer in Tours in 2000. You start with listening exercises. They speak fast and you have to decipher what they are saying, complete sentences, and answer comprehension questions.  Then there is a written part which tests grammar.  There is also a one on one speaking session with a professor, so intimidating!  I saw some improvement which pleased me, but still I recognized why I’m in need a whole year of language studies and immersion.  When that was over, we went back to our hotel to meet our host families. I was greeted by a divorcée with no children at home who lives near the center of town.  I am kind of far from the rest of the people I like in the group, but after I get mon portable, I will feel more connected.  Europe really knows how to do transportation.  I am a bus or tram ride away from anywhere I want to go.  I am about a 35 minute bus ride from the université though, so that’s not very fun.  Though, I was told that’s a normal student commute.


         I spent an absolutely wonderful evening with Madame Barby-Tarragon.  She is hilarious, and so are her friends. Her best friend drove us to her apartment.  She showed me my little yellow room, asked me what I like to eat, then went to market to get food for dinner.  Nicole, her friend, told me she’s an excellent cook and did she ever prove it at dinner.  She made quiche-lorraine, a salad with a dressing to die for, mussels in a vinegar sauce with cucumbers, onions and peppers as an appetizer, and everything was fantastic.  We talked the whole time.  I barely had a chance to eat.  They asked me a lot of questions and I asked them everything I could think of.  Two of her friends stopped by later and it was a regular party. Five women sitting around watching the french Version of “Fame” on TV with these young kids with horrible voices and aspirations of becoming stars and it was SO funny. All the women, Mme Tarragon, Nicole, and her two friends are divorced.  I showed them the pictures I have of my friends on my computer and they LOVED them. They laughed and laughed at all the crazy photos and they especially loved Matt Morgan and Nate. Luke, they think you are mentally challenged.  The only pictures I have of you are ones from King and Queens, and from Charades night.  We caught you in some strange poses and they died laughing. They said (in French) “Now we know why you are single, Karla!!” Ladies, they think you are all gorgeous.  They commented on your beauty numerous times. 

We had so much fun.  They asked me questions they have about Americans, they told me about their favorite movie stars.  We talked about the single life, and how to get around France. We talked about Grenoble and what there is to do around here. I am going to love living here.  It’s now day 2 in Grenoble and the sun is shining.  It is warm and I’m on my way to the tourism office to find out about traveling.  Hope you all are well and I look forward to talking to you soon.  Au revoir!

No comments:

Post a Comment