Friday, September 20, 2013

Hunt for the Red October



Originally posted November 6, 2003

This will be a short update as I am leaving for Italy tomorrow and I will have a lot to talk about when I get back, I’m sure.

First things first: I bought my red shoes, the ones of my dreams, literally. Let me say first that I’m really not that much of a clothes horse, and I’ve never considered myself as a shoe fetish girl. * But this mission really took a hold of me. What has Europe DONE to me???

In order to complete my euro-look, I knew I needed some funky shoes. I kept my eyes focused on the ground in buses and in town, I did a lot of window shopping, and I decided on red, as you know. I really liked this one style of Pumas that I had seen versions of on people around town. I couldn’t find this particular shoe I had in mind ANYWHERE. I looked in every shoe store in every town I visited, I’ve gone to about 7 in Grenoble, and finally, on a whim I ducked into a store at a bus stop near campus. There they were, sitting on the wall in all their European perfection: Bright red, uniquely styled, exactly how I had pictured them to be. But at over $125, no matter how perfect the shoe, I can’t justify that kind of money for a pair of sneakers. Running shoes, maybe… but not casual. I left the store thinking I would go back to another place in town where I saw a few pairs that were a lot cheaper and pretty cool. I found a pair that I liked, and I probably would have bought them, but they didn’t have my size. After my classes I went back to Intersport, and tried on my dream shoes. They really were perfect. I couldn’t pass them up. So I sucked it up and handed the Visa card over to the cashier. The price that showed up was 30 Euros less than was marked. I walked out of the store on air. I couldn’t be happier with my purchase, and what a surprise to have them so significantly marked down! I can’t believe I just wrote half a page about shoes….

Another new development from this week: a few weeks ago I sent an e-mail to this language exchange program that promised to set up language exchanges between students on campus who want to learn or practice other languages. I feel that I don’t speak enough French outside the class room and home, so I decided this would be a good way to meet French people and practice. I didn’t hear anything back until Monday when a guy called me and after a little bit of confusion (he had a very thick, non-French accent) we set-up a rendezvous for Tuesday after my classes. It turns out he is an economics professor on campus who is from Chad. He speaks French and Arabic fluently and has just recently been married. He is a devout Christian, his father is a minister in Chad, and he is the only in his family who has been able to get out of the country and get a higher education. Starting this week, and recommencing after I return from Italy and Paris, we will spend about 4 hours a week conversing, half the time in French, half the time in English. He tells me about his articles and I talk about my family and my friends and how I like France. It’s really amazing to talk with someone who’s from Africa and to hear them talk about their country and culture. It’s so different. He talks about his wife a lot, as I suppose is normal for a newlywed. He’s publishing a few articles and would like to end up as an analyst or an advisor for African economic affairs in an international organization.

In short, my week was very successful on a personal and interpersonal (and, sadly, material) level. I look forward to Italy and the visual smorgasbord that awaits. I have Rome all to myself on Friday because Christi couldn’t get out of class. I think I’m going to try and see the Vatican. There’s so much to do. I will send an update with photos and the grand history of my travels next week. Until then!


* Although I'm realizing reading back over this that I talk about shopping a LOT. Hmmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment